Prawn Steamed Dumplings
For the Roasted Chilli Oil
- 1 banana shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 Birdseye chillies, sliced
- 1 small thumb sized piece of ginger, diced
- 1 Star Anise
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 5 tbsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 200ml U:Me Coconut Oil Blend
For the Prawn dumplings
- 300g raw king prawns
- 4 tbsp water chestnuts, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp bamboo shoots, finely chopped
- 1 small thumb sized piece of ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp U:Me Coconut Oil Blend
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp Shaoxing rice wine
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 20 round dumpling wrappers
- For the dumplings, finely dice and mince half of the prawns, and roughly chop the other half, add to a large bowl with all the other ingredients and stir thoroughly. Set aside in the fridge to marinade whilst you make the oil.
- In a saucepan over a medium heat, add the oil and leave for a couple of minutes to heat up, lower the heat slightly then add the shallots, garlic, birdseye chillies, ginger, cinnamon, and star anise, cook gently for 3-5 minutes until golden brown. Strain through a sieve into a bowl and stir in the chilli flakes, sugar and salt, until dissolved. Discard the cinnamon and star anise from the sieve and add everything else back into the oil. Set aside to cool whilst you assemble the dumplings.
- Wet around the edge of the wrapper with your finger dipped in water and place a spoonful of filling in the middle of the wrapper (don’t overfill). Seal all around to make a crescent shape and once all are formed, add to a hot large frying pan with 1 tbsp of coconut oil. Turn the heat down and cook for 2-3 minutes until brown. Then add 100ml water and cover with a lid, steam for 2-3 minutes until cooked through.
- To serve, in four bowls add two heaped tablespoons of the oil and top with the 5 dumplings. Sprinkle over some chopped chives and eat with chopsticks.